Cool weather fails to dampen ATB's spirit at Calgary Pride parade.
Words: Barry Strader
It was easily the most significant event that took place in Alberta in 2016.
So it seems appropriate that a song about the Fort McMurray wildfire was named the winner in the sixth ATB Financial All-Albertan Song Contest.
Run, written and recorded by Edmonton’s 100 Mile House, was selected by a panel of judges as the top song in a year ATB received a total of 166 entries. 100 Mile House takes the grand prize of $10,000 from ATB.
“I was pretty shocked,” said Peter Stone, 100 Mile House’s lead singer and songwriter. “It was a pretty fun feeling. My heart was racing pretty hard.”
The song (listen below) is about a family’s experience as they packed up and left Fort McMurray while the city went up in Flames.
“It came pretty quickly one day during the middle of it,” Stone said of the song writing process. “The coverage was all over the news. There were a lot of people coming to Edmonton. Strangers were opening their homes to people so they had a place to stay. There were charity shows and benefits across town. It was a really emotional time. To see how everyone was pulling together was inspirational. To hear some of the stories and what they left behind, but there was a hope as well. There were certain stories that really moved me and pushed me to pick up a guitar and start singing about it.”
2016 marks the second time 100 Mile House has won a prize in the All-Albertan Song Contest. They claimed third spot in 2013 with Pick Up Our Boots, which was included on the band’s most recent album released last month.
“ATB is encouraging people to write about this province and it’s nice that those songs continue to live and end up on albums,” said Stone. “It’s nice that song stuck with us. If it hadn’t been in that competition, I’m not sure it would have ended up on the album. This song (Run) will definitely be on our next album as well.”
Stone said the band will use the prize money to continue making music and plans to donate a portion of it at its annual Christmas Charity show later this month. It’s a way for him to give back to his adopted home. Stone, originally from England, met his wife and band-mate, Denise MacKay in Alberta. After getting married, the couple lived in London for four years, but returned to Alberta eight years ago. They’ve been here ever since.
“It wasn’t until we moved back to Alberta that our music became a really big part of our lives and allowed us to release albums and tour,” said Stone.
“Alberta has become my home in a really important way. I appreciate it and we sing about Alberta in a lot of our songs. It really is special. I joke a lot on stage that I feel lucky that I fell in love with an Alberta girl. She’s the reason I came here originally and now I never want to leave for too long.”
Calgary’s Brock Geiger finished in second place, earning $3,000, with Fade To Red. Canmore’s Seth Anderson won both third place from the judges worth $2,000 and another $2,000 by winning the Fan Choice Award for his tune Rocky Mountain Town. Anderson topped the Facebook fan voting with 699 votes.
Thanks to all who entered and voted in the 2016 All-Albertan Song Contest. Congratulations to our winners!
1. Entrants must be Albertan and living in Alberta at the time of entry.
2. Entrants will record and submit an original, new, non-released song about Alberta. For clarity, the song must not have been sold or distributed to the public for public use (this includes being played on the radio or on television). If the song has been uploaded to YouTube or posted through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat (“Social Media”), the song is eligible to be submitted for this contest. The song must be written and performed by the entrant.
3. Entrants must submit the song in a commonly used electronic audio format (i.e.: MP3), or on a CD.
4. Entrants must submit a legible lyrics sheet.
5. Entrants must submit a photo of themselves.
6. Entrants must submit their contact information in a separate document, including song title, home phone number and e-mail address; that information won’t be disclosed to parties outside the contest.
7. Employees or family members of employees, or board representatives or family members of board representatives, of ATB Financial and its subsidiaries, the National Music Centre or CKUA Radio are not eligible to participate in this contest.
8. The grand prize winner:
a. Receives $10,000 CAD from ATB Financial (in the form of a bank draft);
b. Is free to negotiate for and decide on any further uses of the song, and retains its copyright;
c. Agrees to be photographed and interviewed for a story on the ATB Financial community website wearealberta.ca (the “Website”);
d. Agrees to perform a live concert (within Alberta) for ATB Financial for an additional talent fee (fee to be agreed upon between ATB Financial and the grand prize winner); the date and location of the concert will be determined and agreed upon between ATB Financial and the grand prize winner
9. The second-place winner receives $3,000 CAD in cash from ATB Financial.
10. The third-place winner receives $2,000 CAD in cash from ATB Financial.
11. The winner of the Fan Choice Award receives $2,000 CAD in cash from ATB Financial.
12. Entries may be submitted through the entry form found on this page or through regular mail to:
21st FL 10020 - 100 Street
13. All entries become the property of ATB Financial, and entrants’ materials will not be returned. ATB Financial assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries. The contest administrator will not be able to acknowledge that an entry has been received.
14. Deadline for entries is 12:00 pm local time, November 28, 2016.
15. A panel of judges from the National Music Centre, CKUA and ATB Financial (the “Panel”), in their sole discretion, will select a short-list of three to six entries (the “Finalists”) from the pool of eligible entries.
16. The song, photo and lyrics of each of the Finalists will be posted on the Website. Entrants agree to this, without qualification.
17. The song and lyrics of each of the Finalists will also be posted on ATB Financial’s Facebook page, where users are able to vote for their favourite Finalist. Users may vote only once. Facebook voting will commence at 8:30am local time, December 2, 2016 and will close at 8:30am local time, December 9, 2016. The Finalist with the most votes at the conclusion of online voting will win the Fan Choice Award ($2,000 CAD). In the event of a tie, the $2,000 prize money will be split equally amongst the Finalists that tied for the most votes.
18. The Panel will choose the grand prize, second-place and third-place winners. The songs will be judged on their musical merit and their connection to Alberta. The decision of the Panel will be final and binding in all matters relating to the selection of the winners.
19. The Finalist that wins the Fan Choice Award is eligible to win the grand prize, second-place and third-place prizes.
20. The grand prize winner will be revealed live on CKUA radio on December 9, 2016.
21. Any income taxes are each winner’s sole responsibility.
22. ATB Financial reserves the right, in ATB Financial’s sole discretion, to disqualify any entry or entrant, and to modify, terminate or suspend this contest. ATB Financial is the sole and final arbitrator of any disputes regarding this contest, any entry, entrant, and any official rule or eligibility requirement.
23. Entrants may be required to provide reasonable proof that they meet the requirements of the contest.
24. By participating, entrants and winners agree:
a. to be bound by these official rules;
b. ATB Financial, ATB Financial’s subsidiaries, agents and sponsors, shall have the right and permission to use their name, voice, place of residence, photograph and or/likeness, and any statements he/she may make regarding the prize, for advertising and/or trade and/or any other purpose worldwide in perpetuity and in any other media or format now or hereafter known without any form of compensation, permission, or notification;
c. ATB Financial, and ATB Financial’s subsidiaries and agents, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, successors and assigns shall have no liability and will be held harmless by entrants and winners for any liability, loss, injury, claim, or damage to themselves or any other person or entity, including but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to personal or real property, to entrant, winners or any other person or entity due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize or participation in this contest;
d. the submitted song and lyrics is an original work created by the entrant, that the song and lyrics does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the song or lyrics;
e. to grant to ATB Financial a royalty-free, non-exclusive right to post, display, share, publish, print or otherwise use the submitted song or lyrics for advertising and/or trade and/or any other purpose worldwide in perpetuity and in any other media or format now or hereafter known, including without limitation on ATB Financial’s web page located at www.atb.com and on Social Media, without any form of compensation, permission, or notification;
f. to permit ATB Financial to retain the song or lyrics that may be archived in ATB Financial’s records and accessible to ATB Financial, and ATB Financial’s subsidiaries and agents, and all of their respective officers, directors and employees;
h. this contest is not sponsored, endorsed by or administered by Facebook. By entering this contest, all entrants and winners release Facebook from any liability in connection with this contest.